Tuesday, March 25, 2008

P.O. Box, Cy Twombly & The 1990's in 2008

I keep a P.O. Box, just in case, in this case I am waiting on a check to come in.
The cat in the box from quantum physics, has the check arrived? Don't know until you look.

Answer: empty P.O. Box, no check, oh crap, no money for the weekend. Guess I'm going to look at art, it is free after all. Maybe there is something for me here.

Untitled (Say Goodbye Catallus, to the Shores of
Asia Minor), 1994


The images to the right, and above interspersed with the P.O. Box disappointment are from the Cy Twombly Gallery here in Houston, Texas. A monumental painting that spans the entire wall, titled "Untitled" or "Say Goodbye Catallus, to the Shores of Asia Minor"....huh? An untitled, titled painting what gives? I have given up wondering where my check is and now why and what does this painting mean, and what ultimately does it mean to me? Catallus, as we all well know (with a little help from Wikipedia : ) is an ancient Roman poet, Cy Twombly an American painter, but why are we saying Goodbye, where are we going? This painting is about a journey, a travel by sea, to some place else, An Odyssey, a canvas filled with tumult and confusion mixed with peaceful some what blank spaces. Lyrical and beautiful, this painting, and I know one thing, my check will arrive from it's journey to my P.O. Box any day now, but I will be wondering about the trip from the shores of Asia Minor for a long time to come.

Just something I spied from P.O. Box to Twombly Gallery
Oh, and the 90's are alive and well to some home builders. New construction, picture taken March of 08, right here in the Montrose, is complete with red brick, brick columns and white arch keystones. Hey, I hear there is this new thing called the interweb and www dot com something and it is really going to be big.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well as we know there is no money in Montrose. The real market is River Oaks Dimitri. Homes in the 3.2 Million is what is selling. this house will never sell.

Anonymous said...

Really d what are you thinking? I'm with Janelle....