Sunday, August 12, 2007

Just This One Time I'll Get Personal


From the movie The Godfather:

Kay: [asking about Carlo's murder] Michael, is it true?
Michael: Don't ask me about my business, Kay.
Kay: Is it true?
Michael: Don't ask me about my business...
Kay: No.
Michael: [slamming his hand on the desk] Enough! All right. This one time, this one time I'll let you ask me about my affairs.
Kay: Is it true? Is it?
Michael: No.
Kay: [sighing relief] I guess we both need a drink, huh?


What do you think is the best movie? What's your favorite movie? There is, at least with me, a big difference between the two. My mom might not have been the best person I ever have known, she was my mom after all, there are always issues, but she was definately my favorite person in the world, and still is. She was naturally beautiful, poised, and funny in a Lucille Ball sort of way. Flawed by the fact that she cared so much about everyone around her and her "boys" in particular. Rough times raising two boys in the 1970's, the pre Reagan, pre goody goody era. Growing up she would take me to see R rated movies, she let my brother and I listen to Richard Pryor albums that would make a sailor blush. She was protective, but when it came to thought and narrative she had no fear, this is the world we live in, this is how things are. She died unexpectedly 19 years ago today at the age of 55, a big rip off. I remember reading the newspaper that sizzling hot summer day and seeing that Enzo Ferrari, and Jean Michelle Basquiat had died, it was a very bad day for my favorite people. She one time quipped with me that if there were reincarnation, and she had to go through this whole being alive thing again, she at least would like to come back as someone with thinner thighs. After all these years, and all that has changed in this world since... I find not words, so I will defer to Aeschylus


He who learns must suffer

And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget

Falls drop by drop upon the heart,

And in our own despite, against our will,

Comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

Mary Tom Semos Demopulos

November 10th 1932 - August 12th 1988

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so sweet d- i wonder is your mom ever got mad at you like i do...

shauna said...

Thanks for the great monday cry! That has to be one of the greatest things you have written yet! Or maybe Im just overly sensitive on this particular day of the month! Im sure sarah can relate. You are so right about the rip off part! but Mary Tom (Love that name) did a great job while she was here on this earth and would be happy to know what a beautiful person she raised. Keep up the bloging. Its one of the highlights of my day.

ADTEnt, LTD said...

what a lovely tribute for an incredibly lovely woman. very nice.